The most popular activities for Writers Exchange are our high-quality, affordable workshops. These half- or full-day sessions are open to members and non-members alike, although attendance may be limited.
See also Previous Workshops.
If you want to receive an email notice
about upcoming workshops, contact info@CCWritersExchange.org.
WE members always receive
advance notice and a discount
on workshops. Members may also be eligible for scholarships.
Right: Author BK Loren inspires attendees at
Word Yoga workshop
Upcoming Full-Day Workshop
David Hicks, PhD, presents a day of "What a Character! How to Introduce and Develop Your Protagonist, Then Hurl Them into Crisis (for fiction and nonfiction)" on Saturday, May 6, 2017
David will lead this all-day workshop on how to begin a new work or develop your work-in-progress centered on your main character's behavior before, during, and after the story's inciting incident. You will finish the workshop with the completed structure of that story and the beginnings of two other original stories.
Instructor: Award-winning professor, author, and editor, David Hicks, PhD
Date: Saturday, May 6, 2017
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Place: Mt. Shavano Manor
525 W. 16th Street
Salida, CO 81201
About the instructor:
Award-winning professor, author, and editor, David Hicks, PhD, is four-time Professor of the Year at Regis University in Denver and has edited over twenty beginning writers who then published their work for the first time. He is the author of WHITE PLAINS, a novel-in-stories published by Conundrum Press, which Ron Carlson has called "a glowing set of stories, like late night messages sent from a friend."
Fees: $30 for members, $45 for non members
Registration: Limited to 30 people. (Scholarships are available.) Print and fill out the registration form, which also lists other fee options.
See also membership form
if you want to join and receive the membership rate.
Bring to the workshop a notebook, pen, or laptop, and a dish to share for the potluck lunch.
Coffee and tea will be provided.
PLEASE be kind to others - no perfumes or colognes for the sake of those with allergies.
For those wishing to join us later that evening at 7:00 p.m. at the Book Haven at 135 F Street, Salida CO 81201 for a special treat independent of the workshop, David Hicks and Peter Anderson will be doing readings there, as well as selling and signing their new books: White Plains by David Hicks, and Heading Home by Peter Anderson.
Claryce Burt Scholarship Fund
The scholarship fund enables you to receive a scholarship if you were an active Writers Exchange member during the year prior to a workshop. You may receive up to $50 in a 12-month period to attend workshops, seminars, and other writing events. This workshop is a qualifying event.
Scholarship funds are not based on financial need. All you need to do is pick up a scholarship application at the workshop. Fees are reimbursed after the fact. Some reciprocal service to the organization is requested. For more information, email info@CCWritersExchange.org [back to top]
- September 5, 2016: Full day workshop with Lisa Jones, Author and Course Leader. Lisa took us all for a real ride through "Suspense through the Senses" as she taught us how to build to climax, repeatedly, in our story-writing. A truly valuable skill that many of us will put to good use in our future writing!
- July 16, 2016: Full day workshop with Colorado Poet Laureate, Joseph Hutchison. Poetry, Prose, History, Art - Joe took us for a journey through our senses, through the spirit of the written and spoken "word," and taught us new ways to string these pearls
of wisdom, wit, and wonder together into an extraordinary tapestry of beauty and truth. See Joe Hutchison's website.
- February 6, 2016: Full day workshop with Colorado Memoirist Bar Scott. We laughed together and thoroughly enjoyed learning about ourselves, our lives, and how free we are to write about our life experiences - the good, the bad, and the other ;-) And some of us even went on to write a Memoir after this workshop!
See Bar Scott's website.
- June 13, 2015: Full-day workshop with Colorado author Laurel McHargue. Using the topic "A day of Character Development," Laurel instructed on ways to strengthen a character currently being created and begin creation of a new character.
- June 7, 2014: Full-day workshop with Colorado author BK Loren. Using the topic, "Write from the Start: Word, Line, Voice, and Structure," BK helped us discover how we can get more out of every word on a page of fiction or nonfiction.
- June 8, 2013: Full-day workshop with local writer Amy Frykholm, the author of Julian of Norwich: A Contemplative Biography; exploration of writing life and life writing about memoir and biography.
- January 26, 2013: Full-day workshop with local writer Laura Hendrie, "Going small:
The Secret of Finding Your Best Story."
- August 25, 2012: Full-day workshop with local writer Beth Groundwater, "Engineering a Mystery and the Art of Writing Dialogue."
- November 19, 2011: Full-day workshop, "Word Yoga" with writer and teacher BK Loren from Loveland, CO.
- February 2011: Full-day workshop, "Writing for magazines" with magazine editor and book author Amy Frykholm from Leadville
- November 2010: One-day workshop, "Social Media for Writers" with nationally recognized Salida author Susan Tweit
- February 2010: One-day workshop, "Marrying Your Muse" with Cotopaxi author Nancy Oswald
- September, 2009: One-day memoir workshop, "Translate Your Life Into Story" with Pennsylvania author and writing coach, Jerry Waxler
- 2009: One-day “How to Think a Story” workshop with Buena Vista author Elaine Long
- 2008: One-day “ABCs of Character and Plot” workshop with Leadville playwright, Craig Sodaro
- 2007: One-day “Writing Your Roots/Routes” workshop with Aaron Abeyta from Adams State College
- 2006: One-day nature writing workshop with Katie Redding
- 2005: One-day workshop by Amy Frykholm and Stephanie Frykholm on overcoming writing blocks
- 2004: One-day memoir workshop by Camilla Beck from Longmont, humanistic gerontologist and small press publisher
- 2004: One-day creativity workshop by Pamela Robinson from Fort Collins, regionally known musician, poet, and inspired teacher
- 2003: Two-day short story workshop by Amy Frykholm, Instructor in English and Religious Studies, Colorado Mountain College, Leadville
- 2002: Two-day novel workshop by John Dunning, nationally acclaimed mystery writer from Denver
- 2001: One-day poetry workshop by Rita Kiefer, published poet and creative writing instructor, retired from the University of Northern Colorado, Greeley
[Back to top]